No smile is truly perfect, but some teeth need help to become as healthy and straight as possible–including those of adults. Dr. Brian Oyler offers both traditional orthodontic solutions and innovative Invisalign clear aligners in his Lawrenceburg office. Which option is right for you?
Common Orthodontic Problems
Malocclusion, or improper bite, is the most common orthodontic problem. In short, the upper and lower arches of teeth do not align properly when the jaw closes. Malocclusion can be unattractive, but more than that, poor bite makes teeth harder to clean and may even lead to decay, headaches, TMJ dysfunction, gum disease and other health issues.
Dr. Oyler and his associate dentist Dr. Allison Bleser Shartzer, combine skills to evaluate and treat children, teens and adults for orthodontic problems such as:
- Open bite
- Poor spacing
- Overjet (protruding front teeth)
The dentists do a complete oral examination, digital X-rays and other kinds of imaging to understand oral health, bone structure and jaw function. The patient then receives recommendations for correction of bite problems.
Today’s braces are more comfortable and produce better results than ever before. Plus, they are fully customizable. Gone are the days of one size fits all brackets. Dr. Oyler presents patients with different treatment options that will work for their individual cases. His extensive training assures patients and their families that their smiles are in capable hands.
Dr. Oyler offers traditional metal, tooth-colored ceramic and plastic bracket and wire braces to straighten a variety of orthodontic issues in Lawrenceburg. Elastics as needed come in variety of colors appealing to younger patients.
In addition, Dr. Oyler delivers inventive Invisalign clear aligners for teens and older adults. Perfect for many mild to moderate orthodontic issues, Invisalign aligners are clear, customized and removable. Worn in pairs for a shorter treatment time than traditional braces, Invisalign appliances are smooth, comfortable and removable for hygiene, meals and special occasions.
Tips for Orthodontic Patients
To successfully undergo orthodontic treatment, patients should follow these guidelines for life with braces:
- Keep your appointments so treatment stays on track. Dr. Oyler wants to see patients at least every month for adjustments, although Invisalign patients need less frequent check-ins.
- Perform your daily hygiene routines carefully and consistently to avoid gum disease and tooth decay. Floss daily and brush twice a day. If you have brackets, use special orthodontic floss and/or interdental brushes as recommended.
- Drink eight glasses of water–or more–a day to wash tooth surfaces and reduce harmful plaque. Water increases saliva, too.
- If you wear brackets and wires, avoid nuts, celery, taffy, pizza crust and other hard, fibrous and sticky foods that can dislodge or break appliances. All orthodontic patients should eat a healthy, low-sugar diet, high in dairy, protein, vegetables and fruits.
- Invisalign patients must wear their aligner pairs for 20 to 22 hours per day and change to the next pair in sequence as scheduled.
- Get routine exams and professional cleanings at Brian C. Oyler Family Dentistry.
Looking to Straighten Your Smile?
Find out how you can at an orthodontic consultation with Brian C. Oyler DDS. You’ll get friendly and expert answers to your questions and feel confident that your smile can be transformed!