Your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you—so when you open your mouth and reveal a row of dull, yellow teeth, you might feel a little embarrassed! But there’s no need to panic; there are plenty of existing cosmetic treatments that can whiten your teeth and give you a smile that you’ll be proud of. Keep reading to learn more about some of the common causes of yellow teeth along with some ways that you can effectively and safely whiten them.
Common Causes of Yellow Teeth
There are several factors that can affect the color of your teeth and cause them to become stained or discolored, including:
- Age – As you grow older, your tooth enamel wears and thins which allows the yellow-colored dentin underneath to become more visible.
- Genetics – Sometimes you can inherit yellow teeth through certain genetic conditions.
- Diet – Certain foods and drinks like red wine, berries, coffee, and tea contain tannins, which are staining agents that can easily discolor your teeth.
- Lifestyle habits – Smoking is one of the top causes of tooth discoloration, and even chewing tobacco can stain your smile.
- Excessive fluoride exposure – Sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad! In this case, fluorosis can occur and discolor your teeth if they’re exposed to too much fluoride.
- Poor oral hygiene – This might seem obvious, but simply not taking care of your mouth can easily lead to discolored teeth.
How Can I Whiten My Teeth?
Luckily, there are many ways to whiten your teeth, regardless of how they became stained! Everybody’s individual circumstances differ, but your dentist can evaluate your smile and determine the best approach. Typically, there are two main methods used to whiten teeth: at-home whitening and in-office whitening.
In-office whitening is carried out by your dentist at their office. They have access to special tools and equipment that are more powerful than anything you can purchase at the store. In a matter of minutes, your dentist can polish your teeth and remove any visible surface stains. Results are fully visible within two weeks and can last anywhere from 6 months to 3 years!
At-home whitening is an equally viable option. Your dentist will send you home with a kit containing professional-grade whitening gels and special trays designed for your mouth. This process is more gradual than in-office whitening, but it allows you to whiten on your own schedule over the course of a week or so. While you could opt for store-bought whitening products, they will not produce similar results compared to in-office whitening or a whitening kit from your dentist.
You don’t have to settle for a stained smile! Talk with your dentist if you’re curious about receiving cosmetic treatment. There are many options out there that can whiten your teeth and send your confidence soaring.
About the Author
Dr. Brian Oyler has served patients and families in the Lawrenceburg community for over 20 years! Dr. Oyler received his dental doctorate from the Indiana University School of Dentistry in Indianapolis and is a member of many professional organizations including the American Dental Association and has earned Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry. His practice is proud to offer a wide variety of services, including cosmetic treatment options like teeth whitening! To schedule an appointment, please reach out online or by phone: (812) 537-4272.